Friday, September 4, 2009

THIRD DAY AND COUNTING

I moved "off the grid" on Sept. 1, 2009. What does that mean? If you are a New Mexican, you know, because it is not unknown - even something one does from time to time. Like taking a "walkabout" in Australia. It is living in a homemade house like an "earthship," and not living on the public utilities grid.

That's right: no electricity, no running water, no bathroom in your place, no conveniences. Sort of like camping in the wild with a roof. Though in my case I am living almost off the grid, which means I have some electricity and WiFi so that I can talk to you.

So, I decided to move off the grid to focus on my private work as well as to save money. And, I am doing that in Madrid, N.M. just outside of Santa Fe. It is a handbuilt haybale house covered in adobe. It is around 16 feet in diameter - that is, it is round with four windows, three of them opening. I look outside my windows now with a full moon and can see the desert shapes: the rocks, the cactus, the hills.

2 comments:

maggio said...

?what kind of snakes do you have?

maggio said...

?i like new mexcio snakes....do you?.....if you do i will buy dinner.