Friday, September 4, 2009

OUTHOUSES, SOLAR SHOWERS, OH MY!

The three days were easy. Unpack. Go to restaurant while running errands. Use the out house: look for rattlesnakes, don't throw toilet tissue down the black hole, don't look for the flusher. And, then, by night take a solar shower behind the fenced area (with spaces showing a little flash of skin here and there), with the last tenant's solar shower. It is a black or silver plastic bag you hang preferably with a little shower spout. The sun heats the water in about a half hour. Here in the high desert, maybe sooner.

By the time I shower, I need one. Waltzed in with flip flops and shorts and little t-shirt and my natural mint liquid soap. Forgot the towel. Found I didn't really need one. It was refreshing. The wind was coming up as the sun went behind the mountains. Wow, it was nice!

The next two days, I learn how to turn on the propane and the stove so that I can cook. (More about that later). And, I finish unpacking with room for all my books for once. The battle I will have is lugging the water back from the well...I think. Who knows? I am taking one day at a time.

Thursday was the best day. Everything in its place, and a thunderstorm coming. It hasn't rained yet and I am eager for the cool wind it will bring. The timing was perfect. Still am wearing my gym shorts and little T and stand outside to feel the rain. It is hard, and the spout is directing a three inch flow into the bathtub outside off the back porch. Pretty soon I am in the altogether showering, not needing my solar shower this day.

Oh, and dinner. A little organic whole chicken in a half pot of water with three cloves of garlic, fresh basil, whole pepper, salt and a little olive oil to stew for 45 min. After, separate dark and white meat in separate containers, and bring chicken broth to boil with a handful of dark chicken and a half pound of noodles until they are al dente. Add canned roasted red peppers cut in strips, a handful of shredded basil and more salt and pepper. Eat with chopsticks in one of my two bowls. Delicious!